Monday, April 2, 2012

Freezer Stash

My deep freeze is not typical. Most people have meat and other foods. My deep freeze? It has milk. Ok, sure, it has some of those other things too, but more space is taken up in my freezer by pumped milk than any other item. I have a collection of bagged milk for my own use. In addition, I have rows of containers for the milk bank. Granted, they are constantly rotated as I drop off donations every 3-4 weeks, but it certainly takes up space.

About 4 gallons waiting to be donated. I usually don't let
it build up this much, but my freezer is often stack two
high on this shelf. =)
If you are planning on donating, don't be daunted by the space it may take up. There are many things you can do. First, you don't need a deep freeze. A regular freezer is just fine, but you'll need to make sure that your samples are taken in more frequently. Remember, they have to be able to receive and process your milk before it expires. A deep freeze simply allows you to collect more at a time since you can hold onto it longer. The initial donation (at least for the milk bank I work with) is 100 oz. That equals out to about 20-30 storage containers depending on the size. The good thing about smaller containers is that they fit in more nooks and crannies making this a pretty easy task. After your initial donation, you don't have to worry about quantity and you can just make a donation when the milk starts taking up too much space.

After a couple months, you'll begin to start a system of how the containers all fit and where they "go" in your freezer. You'll figure out how to maximize space and how often you'll need to drop off your donations. You develop a system and the more you do it, the more routine it becomes. Happy freezing!

No comments:

Post a Comment